Play therapy is an evidence-based therapy for children ages 3-12. Play therapy allows your child to explore and resolve problems through the use of play. While playing, your child will express thoughts and feelings that would otherwise remain hidden.
In the beginning sessions your child will be allowed to play in almost any way that he/she would like, as long as it does not hurt anybody or anything. Further along in the treatment sessions, the therapist may become more directive by encouraging the child to play with specific items to address the child’s current problems.
Benefits of Play Therapy
- Facilitating healing from past stressful or traumatic experiences
- Allowing your child to express themselves
- Developing and implementing health decision making skills
- Communicating problems and concerns to others
- Learning new ways of thinking and behaving